0333 050 9030


Housing Disrepair Team

Claim compensation from your local council or housing association landlord & get your property repaired for free.

Housing disrepair team cover all of the UK.

Fill in the form or call us on 0333 050 9030 for immediate help with filing a no win no fee housing disrepair claim.

Fill in the form & one of our lawyers will contact you immediately to discuss the issues with your home.

Claim Compensation

Claim compensation for the poor housing conditions in your property

Free Property Repair

We will ensure your property is repaired completely - FREE

No win, no fee service

It's FREE for you to file a claim with our specialist housing disrepair solicitors

Watch our housing disrepair video

We’ll also show you how to submit a claim for free, what you need to do before, and how much compensation is likely to be paid out.

We’ll explain what housing disrepair claims are and the actions our NO Win, NO Fee housing disrepair team solicitors will take to help council and housing association tenants claim compensation and get their property fixed completely

Get the ball rolling today by filling in our contact form, or you can call us during our business hours of 9am – 5pm Mon-Fri

What is Housing Disrepair?

If you live in a council house, social housing, or a housing association property, your landlord is obligated to guarantee that your home is safe and functional.

When a rented property deteriorates or needs repairs so that it is safe and acceptable to live in, it is the responsibility of the landlord to ensure that a basic living standard is maintained.

Housing disrepair usually consists of the following issues:

  • Mould or damp problems
  • Cockroach infestations 
  • Leaks & water damage
  • Faulty heating systems
  • Faulty electrical wiring
  • Internal deterioration
  • Gutters, drains, pipes & structural
  • Broken kitchen & bathroom fittings

Compensation from THE council

If your Oldham council property is in disrepair you can claim compensation and free property repair on a no win no fee basis.


We can also help you claim compensation from any housing association / social housing property in North West.


Housing disrepair claims are FREE for all council, social housing and housing association tenants in England.

Housing Disrepair experts

We are specialist no win no fee housing disrepair claims solicitors, you're in safe hands with or friendly team.

These are the most common housing disrepair issues that council and housing association tenants face.



Electrical issues

Heating problems

No hot water

Broken kitchen

Leaks & Flooding

Structural issues

Pest infestations

What are landlords responsible for?

Landlords are always responsible for repairs in a reasonable period of time after discovering that the property is not safe or liveable as part of their duty to ensure that your property is safe and liveable.

  • Your property’s structure and exterior, such as the roof, walls and windows
  • Sanitary fittings such as baths, sinks and basins, this also includes pipes and drains
  • Heating and water systems
  • Gas appliances
  • Ventilation
  • Electrical wiring

Your landlord is not legally permitted to charge you for any of the repair work described above, and they are responsible for these repairs independent of your tenancy agreement. Your landlord may also be responsible for additional repairs if they agree, which is determined by your rental agreement.

Can I make a housing disrepair claim?

If your landlord refuses to address a property with housing disrepair issues that they are responsible for, you may be able to file a claim against them. To be eligible to lodge a claim, you must first notify your landlord of the condition and provide evidence as proof. If your landlord does not make repairs within acceptable timeframes, you can seek compensation.

You can make a housing disrepair claim during your tenancy or after it has ended, but you must do so within six years of giving notice to your landlord about the problem. Personal injury claims must be made within three years of receiving notification.

It’s critical to note that your landlord may not be held accountable for repairs caused by carelessness or misconduct on your part. We don’t currently accept private landlord claims since, as a rule, we are unable to help you if you’ve used a letting agent or your landlord is an individual.

How do I start a housing disrepair claim?

We currently specialize in claims against your local council, local authority, social housing and housing associations. Unfortunately, we are unable to take landlord tenant complaints because we focus on claims against your local council, local authority, social housing and housing associations. Because making a claim against your landlord is difficult, you’ll want the assistance of an expert lawyer.

If you wish to file a claim, the first thing you should do is consult with a legal professional about your circumstances to determine whether yours qualifies as a claim.

You must follow the Pre-Action Protocol for Housing Conditions Claims before you can submit a claim. The pre-action procedure describes a series of actions that you must complete before filing your claim. If you do not follow these steps, you risk being fined at a later stage in the litigation process. Attempting to establish an Alternative Dispute Resolution, submitting

If your landlord does not respond to your letter of claim, or if the response is unsatisfactory, you can take legal action by submitting an application to the county court.

Do you offer housing disrepair advice?

Yes, in most tenancies repairing obligations are implied into the terms of the tenancy. The repairing obligations require a landlord to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the property and keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the property for the supply of water, gas, electricity, sanitation, space heating, and heating water.

It is not possible for a landlord to contract out of their repairing obligations.

If you own a leasehold property the freeholder’s repairing obligations will be contained in the terms of your lease.

We may be able to bring a legal claim in the County Court for the repair of issues, as well as monetary compensation, depending on the source of your home’s problems. In some situations, housing disrepair claims can be handled in the Magistrates’ Court.

Do you live in Oldham, Greater Manchester or North West OL1 1 near to -2.11596 & 53.54216 ? If so we can assist you. Contact us via the form or by calling us on 0333 050 9030

Frequently asked questions

What is Housing disrepair? 
Housing disrepair is when a rented property deteriorates or requires repairs so that it is safe and suitable to live in.  In Oldham it is your landlord's responsibility to ensure a reasonable living standard is met.

We cover all areas in and around London, so please don’t worry if your area isn’t listed as providing you are in North West we will be able to assist you simply contact us to start your claim.
Frank Hill, Bank Top, Cold Hurst Hollow, Rhodes Bank, Cold Hurst, Primrose Bank, North Moor, Mumps, Westwood, Oldham Edge

A Trading Style of Hattons Legal Services Limited, Company No. 09771400 Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. SRA No 628665.